Things to do in United Kingdom
The United Kingdom has an array of National Parksand designated Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty that serve to preserve the country's natural heritage. There are 14 National Parks in total spread across England, Scotland and Wales (9 in England, 2 in Scotland and 3 in Wales) and 49 Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty in England, Wales and Northern Ireland (35 in England, 4 in Wales, 9 in Northern Ireland and 1 in both England and Wales). There are no Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty in Scotland, but there are the equivalent National Scenic Areas , of which there are 35 spread across the country.
- Edinburgh Castle , Edinburgh, is a magnificently situated royal fortress located on one of the highest points in the city. The castle has been continuously in use for 1000 years and is in excellent condition.
- Stonehenge is an ancient stone circle located near the cathedral city of Salisbury in Wiltshire.
- The Georgian architecture and Roman baths in Bath.
- York Minster (Cathedral) in the historic city of York.
- Canterbury Cathedral is the seat of the head of the church of England. Located in the city of Canterbury in Kent
- Shakespeare's Birthplace , Stratford-Upon-Avon, is home of the Royal Shakespeare Company.
- The ancient and world-renowned universities of Oxford and Cambridge
- The Eden Project near St Austell is a massive botanical gardens including indoor rainforest and Mediterranean biodomes.
- The Giant's Causeway sixty miles from Belfast on the north coast of Northern Ireland is a World Heritage site and a natural wonder.
- Portsmouth Historic Dockyard is home to three of the most important ships ever built and 800 years of naval history.